Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Let's Talk Coupons

Let's talk coupons.  As I've stated in my "Living For Less" link, I am in no way an expert on coupons.  I'm still learning with the best of you.  If make a statement regarding coupons and policies that are wrong please comment and correct me under this post.  

With that said...one of the best ways I have found to save money using coupons is to know the tricks to stacking coupons. What I didn't realize when I first began couponing was that you increase your savings by combining manufacturer's coupons with store coupons.  

Here is a deal currently going on in which you could use this method and get cheap ice cream at Target:

Breyer’s Ice Cream 1.5 Quart  - $2.99 (Sale thru 5/28)
$1.50/2 Breyer’s Ice Cream 1.5-qt. Target Web Coupon STACK with
$1.50/2 Breyer’s Blasts Ice Cream
Final Price: $1.49/each
Find more Target Weekly Deals here.
Thank you to one of my favorite thrifty bloggers Bargain Briana for this particular deal scenario.
Make sense?  This one wasn't too difficult.  However, this deal doesn't give you a free item which is what everyone really wants.
Here's an example of a scenario that my husband and I recently did to get free toothpaste:
Colgate Toothpaste-  on sale for $2.99 at King Soopers (aka Kroger)
Colgate Toothpaste  - $2.99
$1.50/1 manufacturer's coupon STACK with
$1.50/1 Store Coupon
Final Price: free
*I should mention that the key to getting this coupon FREE was buying a kind that was already on sale.  We had our choice of several different kinds of Colgate but we knew that if we wanted to walk out with a free item we had to choose the particular kind that was on sale for $2.99 and not regularly priced at $3.50.
So, we walked out of the grocery store with free toothpaste...which was great because we were just about out.
There are many more variations of stacking that will save you money.  Wait until you hear about stacking "buy one get one" items.  Now that's when it becomes fun ;)
For now, that's all I've got for tonight.  Hope this made some sense and that it was helpful to those of you who are just starting out on your coupon adventures!  Please comment with any questions or remarks! 
More to come as I find the energy and time :)  

3 comments:

  1. so jealous you have a Kroger!!! and a Dominick's!! you've inspired me to take a trip to Target this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so helpful, Brittany!! I guess where I get frustrated is where to find good coupons. Do you use internet coupons or newspaper coupons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, We get the Sunday paper and we searched online and found a subscription for a significant percent off. I also plan on doing a post about where to find coupons but for now check out this site... http://www.mashupmom.com/ . She's chicago based so some of the stores she mentioned you might not have heard of. She does have a link at the top of her site that lists sites to print off coupons. She also does weekly and daily deal scenarios for places like Target, Walgreens, CVS and she lists links for where to find specific coupons.

    ReplyDelete