Friday, June 29, 2012

Sharing and Growing

Today, I was so honored to have one of my pieces chosen for the front page of my favorite site Postpartum Progress. This blog site has been an incredible resource to me while I have been on my journey through PPD.  The women who share here are AMAZING.  I am blessed to know them and each of their hearts. And I was completely blown away when I got the email telling me that I was chosen to share a piece of my own.

It has been a rough week.  A horrible, terrible, rough week.  And someday, when I have fully processed just how sad of a week this has been for our little family, I will blog about it and share my thoughts.  But for now, for today, being confirmed that my words have meaning, was exactly what I needed to hear.  I wasn't expecting this to be posted anytime soon, let alone on the front page, which is why I feel so incredibly honored.

In a way, it was comforting to be reminded that sharing my struggles is good and worthwhile. That my struggles in and of themselves can be good and worthwhile.  Not easy.  Not understandable.  But necessary for the growth of who I am and who I am still becoming as a person. And for that, this week, I am so incredibly grateful.  I am thankful that even in the midst of inexplicable pain and suffering, the Lord brings us to a new place.  To a place of relying on others and ultimately on Him.

With all of that said, here's a bit of my blog piece that I was honored to share with Postpartum Progress this morning.  Thank you to fellow Warrior Mom, Katherine Stone, for allowing me to share my story.

On Owning Your Struggle with Postpartum Depression

So proud to have Warrior Mom Brittany with us today, sharing her story and why she’s not afraid to be open about her struggle with postpartum depression.
I have dreamed my entire life of becoming a mom. Some of my fondest memories as a child are of mothering my plastic baby dolls and loving on them as if their cotton insides actually held a beating heart. As a doe-eyed teenager, I used to picture what life would be like when my boyfriend and I could finally marry and start a family together. And then suddenly, we were there. We had finished college, married and were living the dream life together in our favorite city. We talked about waiting to have babies, but when it came down to it we wanted to share the memories we were making together with our children.
We started trying for a baby, and before long I was pregnant and barefoot. Literally … I went barefoot to one of my baby showers. We spent nine blissful months “oohing” and “aahhing” over blurry ultrasound photos, meticulously decorating a nursery and waiting anxiously for our baby girl to arrive.
And then she was born. Blonde and blue-eyed and all 6 lbs 9 oz of her was perfect. I remember holding her the day she was born. She was bundled like a burrito and sleeping so peacefully in my arms. My husband remarked that she was like a tiny angel. That night we took rotating hour-long shifts to stay awake with her while the other would sleep. We worried that if we left her alone for all but one minute we would wake to find our baby not breathing and our dream dissolved into thin air. Maybe this first night was a foreshadowing of the anxiety-ridden days to come. 
You can read the rest of the blog post here.  
Next Friday I am excited to be the guest blogger for another one of my favorite sites Just.Be.Enough. It too is an incredible site.  Don't we all, deep down, just want to be enough? I love the ladies who run this site because that's what they encourage.  Living to be enough.
Can't wait to share my own "Just be enough" story with you next week,
Brittany


2 comments:

  1. praying for you Britt! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are ok, Brittany!! Praying that your little family is blessed with a better week!! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete