Friday, August 21, 2015

I'm Not Super Woman.

This week was one giant wake up call for me.  A reminder that I just can not do it all.  I can not be it all.  I can not be super mom, super wife, super friend.  I am just not Super Woman.  Period.  And goodness, is that a hard realization to take in. Just writing that deflated my pride a bit more. 

I started this week with a Super Woman cape on and I feel as though I'm climbing out of the boxing ring, head hanging in shame, cape shredded to bits and hanging pitifully from my back pocket.

To give you an even better picture -- in the midst of my normal wife and momma roles, this week I agreed to dog sit, make a baby meal for a friend and host multiple play dates.  I've been helping a friend prepare for an adoption garage sale, I've also taken on the role of being the marketing girl for our MOPS group. I promised multiple people that I would teach them how to sell on Ebay so I've been working on some writing pieces for that.  I've also been finishing up registration and preparing Mackenzie to start school. And, I recently just went back to work outside of our home.

Now, please don't get me wrong-- every single one of these roles I LOVE.  Like, really and truly love.  And  because I love each of these roles so very dearly, I often overbook my schedule and find myself in some serious trouble.

And by serious trouble I mean, I end up in a giant mess like the one we had earlier this week.  Like when the dog I agreed to dog sit killed the family bunny.  Yes, this actually happened.  And I'm going to come right out and admit that this crisis happened simply because I took on too much.  I wanted to be Super Woman.  So I thought I could dog sit and care for two bunnies and two children all at once.  And now we have a bunny buried beneath the tree in our back yard.  Good heavens.

This life thing I'm doing... the one we're doing... it's all one big learning curve, isn't it?  And I'm learning that God doesn't intend for me to do it all.  To be it all.  God is teaching me that my worth isn't defined by what I do and who I do it for.  Some weeks I really have to experience this lesson the hard way.  And boy, this sure has been one of those weeks.

So friend, maybe you've been learning this lesson too.  Maybe you just need some encouragement to round out your week. 

Your worth is not defined by what you do. 

Your value is not determined by how many people you please and how many roles you fulfilled this week. 

You are precious and loved regardless of how clean you kept your house, regardless of how many roles you filled at church or at your son or daughter's school. 

You are not a failure if you were late to your little one's first day of school or if you forgot to send the Pinterest inspired note in his or her lunchbox. 

You were seen even in the moments that you felt the most unseen.  Those moments when you were scrubbing toilets or picking up the dirty socks and underwear.  Or filling out the piles upon piles of adoption paperwork that seem to just never end.

You have value far beyond all of your "to do" lists.

This weekend, show yourself some grace.  Let the expectations and the failures of the past week go.  If you are feeling the weight of the world on your shoulders (or in my case, the life of a lost bunny), just breathe. 

Snuggle your babies.  Eat that high calorie (but oh so delicious) dessert with your husband.  Set the "to do" lists aside. They will get done.  Take some time for yourself.  Journal.  Read a book.  Go for a hike.  Know that God loves you and He is for you.  Even when your Super Woman cape is in shreds.  At the end of the week, His view of you is what matters the absolute most.  You are loved.
 photo signature_zpslh0qvxnv.png

3 comments:

  1. Needed this. I'm newly pregs with (super surprise) baby #3 and s i c k a l l d a y. Which means naturally I'm also struggling with mama guilt all day as I let my girl watch her 2nd or 3rd movie in a row and both kids eat dinner on the couch. So glad that my worth is not defined by my not-so-stellar performance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needed this. I'm newly pregs with (super surprise) baby #3 and s i c k a l l d a y. Which means naturally I'm also struggling with mama guilt all day as I let my girl watch her 2nd or 3rd movie in a row and both kids eat dinner on the couch. So glad that my worth is not defined by my not-so-stellar performance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, I've been feeling like this lately and I'm not pregnant with a third yet. At Mackenzie's wellness appointment I was scolded for letting her watch more than an hour a day. Good heavens, I wanted to tell her, "You come spend a day at my house!" You are the best momma for those kids and you do the best that YOU can do and do not let the enemy feed you lies of you guilt. You are amazing. And I'm hoping to be joining you in the momma of three club soon...morning sickness and all ;) Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete