Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Where In The World?

My sister Kelsey (check out her blog) leaves tomorrow for Russia
--her first overseas stop with World Race
I'm feeling so many mixed emotions about this.  First, let's just get this out there--I'm insanely jealous.  I love to travel.  I love adventure.  I love new places and new faces. I love my sister.  When I dropped her off at the airport three weeks ago I wanted her to smuggle me in her suitcase and take me with her. In 11 months she will be living and working in Ukraine, Romania, Nepal, India, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Thailand, Cambodia, Asia & Malaysia.  Seriously, who wouldn't want to go with her?  Other emotions I am feeling...excited, thrilled, terrified, anxious and a little sad.  This trip is going to change her life.  
She is going to change lives.  Mostly I'm just incredibly proud.  

I've been wracking my brain, considering different ways that our little family can support Kelsey while she is gone for a year.  There is the obvious (financial) support.  I also put together a prayer list so that every day  she is gone she will have someone from home praying for her.  I love how many of our friends and family jumped on board for that one.  Beyond those two things, I've been trying to figure out how I can explain to our 2-year-old daughter Mack, exactly what her Aunt Kelsey is doing and where she is.  I thought of that old game "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego" and figured that the best way to get 
Mack involved is to create a visual.  
So, we're making a "WHERE IN THE WORLD IS AUNT KELSEY" 
map/prayer board.
Here are some inspiration ideas I've been loving--

This look from kojodesign


Love the colors on this one from Image Kind
So far, We've ordered a world map and when it comes in we will figure out how to mount it and what route (hahaha) to take.  We'll use pins to mark "WHERE IN THE WORLD IS AUNT KELSEY" and it will hang in our kitchen to update regularly.  


No comments:

Post a Comment