Saturday, May 23, 2015

Happy Memorial Weekend!

Happy Memorial Weekend from the Baker Family!  Without a doubt, Memorial weekend holds a special place in our hearts.  It was Memorial Monday five years ago that our bright yellow moving van drove through Colorado and officially marked the start of life here for us! 
 
This year I wanted to give Mackenzie and Levi an understanding of why we celebrate Memorial Day.  Obviously, Levi is still a little young to understand but Mack is at a great age.  I can't tell you how many times I was asked today, "Mom, can you tell me more about war..."  Umm.. what!? 
 
I decided to take a little bit of a lighter spin on the day and have her make cards for residents of a local senior living home.  I called ahead to make sure it would be okay to drop off cards and treats on Monday. Then we got to work making "thank you" cards for current veterans and Happy Memorial Day cards for the rest of the seniors.  This girl has such a big heart, she loved every minute of designing these cards for "Mommy's residents". 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
After we made cards for our local veterans, Makenzie and I set the table for our weekend festivities.  Anyone who knows me well knows that I can be pretty cheap.  I'm really proud of how our table turned out...and would you believe that every decoration on this table (minus the flower arrangement) was from either the Target dollar spot section or the dollar store.  Even the plates and chargers, which I've managed to use for Christmas and Easter so far this year as well. 
 










 
 
 
 
Sweet homemade cards and thrifty table decorations aside, these two are a reminder of why I am so grateful to the men and women who serve and protect our country.
 
As I have spent the day explaining to Mackenzie about why we celebrate, I've reflected on how blessed we are to live in America.  My babies have freedoms and rights that many children will never know.  My children are safe from war.  As parents, we are free to teach Mackenzie and Levi about Jesus without fear of punishment or reprimand.  My goodness, how we take that for granted each and every day. 
 
Hug a veteran this weekend!  Bring flowers or a card and let them know how loved and appreciated they are!
 
Happy Memorial Weekend, friends! 
 photo signature_zpslh0qvxnv.png

1 comment: