Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Insomnia Is A Funny Thing

Insomnia is a funny thing.  Occasionally JB wakes up around 3 am for an opening work shift and most of these occasions I find myself wide awake in bed.  So what do I do?  Well, I would like to say that I spend these awake hours pondering how I can play a role in ending world hunger or advocating peace. But instead, usually I toss and turn for an hour or so, listening for the sound of our toddler and any stirring noises she might make.  I often have mini panic attacks as I lay here, convinced that I have heard her awake and that any luck of actually going back to sleep has gone out the window.  Last time time this happened I found myself shopping for shoes at 3 am.  This morning I found myself wide awake in our dining room working on our memory wall and contemplating what I can create for the Pinterest Challenge And so, here it is 5 am... and I'm still wide awake.  I figure that since it's August now, I might as well finish post on Mack's birthday party so that I can actually move on to my next post.  


Last month we celebrated Mack's 2nd birthday with a "4th of July" themed extravaganza. In hindsight I realize that Mack would have been satisfied with eating cake for breakfast and being told that the day was all about about her.  Technically we didn't have to throw a big blowout that ensued chaos on our tiny apartment.  And we probably shouldn't have. Will I do it again next year?  Ahhh, yes....probably so. I never really learn my lesson.

In short, here's how the day went down...

Our birthday girl woke up and had her ice cream cone cake for breakfast.  
She was thrilled and loved every bit of the attention as we sang her happy  birthday.
I found the t-shirt that she is wearing on clearance at the GAP a few months ago and was thrilled because two of Mack's favorites things are cupcakes and her kitty.

Party Time
We planned for M's party to take place at a small park not too far from our apartment.  We had been forewarned by every weatherman in town that we risked being caught in a torrential downpour.  We kept this warning in the back of our minds but decided to risk it anyways.  Probably not the best idea.

Big and little guests began to arrive.



This was right about the time that we decided to switch to Plan B and direct all of our guests to their cars.  We wrangled children like nobody's business. Within 20 minutes we had a home full of people and (like the weathermen predicted) a torrential downpour.

And so, 27 amazingly good spirited guests ended up crammed into our tiny home.








We played, ate cake and loved on this little girl.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of our family and friends who made her day so incredibly special. We were beyond blessed.

From here...

 
To 3 Months...
1 Year....
To 2 years.  It's hard to believe we're here already.
We love you Mackenzie Leigh!  
Happy 2nd birthday to the little girl who keeps stealing our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! And the cupcakes with cherries on top are the cutest. You are such a darling mom :)

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I love this. I was up all night last night too! She is such a beauty.

    ReplyDelete