Wednesday, April 22, 2015

DIY Gluten Free Flour Storage

Let's just get something straight--the Target Dollar Spot section kills me.  Every. Time. 
 
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who can't escape the "big red ball store" without monogrammed stationary, wicker baskets, party gift bags, thank you cards, chalk, paint brushes and a whole stack of tacky decorations for the next upcoming holiday. 
It all ends up in my cart somehow. 
 
And don't even get me started on what it's like when Mack and Levi tag along.  Levi now asks every time we enter the store... "ball?" Because anyone who has ever been in the Target Dollar Spot section knows that it's like a little boy's dream haven of every type of bouncy ball imaginable. 
 
Well, this week I took away something from Target that I'm actually deeming as useful.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but for the past year or so our gluten free flour mixes have been stored in these zip lock bags in the fridge.  Not only is this a huge risk for cross contamination but it's also incredibly messy with flour spilling everywhere on counters and inside the fridge. 
 
 
But this week, the Target Dollar Section is carrying these! For $3.00, of course.
 
 
I quickly snatched up 8 of them and brought them home to deep clean and sanitize.  I used "Goo Be Gone" to get the price tag stickers off the bottoms and they peeled off with no problem.
 

 
I also snagged these $1.00 food labels from the Dollar Spot section.



 
I purchased a set of funnels for under $2.00 in the kitchenware section to make pouring the flours in a little easier.


I love how they turned out although I will say, mason jars would have been just as cute and possibly even easier to distribute flour later for recipes. 
 

 
While you're here, I have to share our absolute FAVORITE flour recipe
 
We discovered it from Your Home Based Mom and we use it for everything from frying chicken to baking chocolate chip cookies to banana bread.
 
Your Home Based Mom's Gluten Free Flour Mix
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup oat flour
1 cup tapioca flour/starch
1 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 1/2 tsp. xantham gum
 
The entire project cost $25 with tax which I would say isn't bad for food storage that we will use forever.  So head on over to Target--
but just be prepared to be sucked in by all of their fun gardening accessories!

2 comments:

  1. Official new fan of your blog, I love it. The dollar spot is the best! I'm a total sucker every time. And this idea for flour is genius! I have carafes I'll use for juice but never thought of putting anything else in there! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissy! Thanks for stopping by! Do you blog? I would love to follow you too! And yes, the Target dollar section gets me into so much trouble. I came home last night with a bag full of red, white and blue décor and the only way I can justify it is because I can use it for Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day ;)

      Delete